SLO/ Action Research


Task Group

Throughout my student teaching experience I am reminded that there is a purpose behind each assignment. Many of them help develop us as a teacher and benefit the students as well.  Assignments like the Student Learning Objective (SLO) and Action Research Based are designed to do just that. I worked alongside my cooperative teacher to develop my understanding of an SLO. From my understanding we decided to focus my action research on two classes. We are focusing on the Ag Science during the Wildlife unit to see a classroom setting, and Ag Mechanics II  during the Building and Construction Unit to see a laboratory setting.

The problem I identified is students working in task groups. Most students do not have a lot of experience of working in a group and I believe they need to have more opportunity to do so. I want to access the skill set of my students and observe their overall approach to group work in a laboratory and the classroom. By doing this I will have peter insight into what works well and what needs improved regarding conducting group work in a laboratory and classroom. I planned to implement this group task by assigning groups and observing student behavior. Also, be looking over student surveys. 

SLO's are comprised of five components. These components are strategically designed to help teachers identify an area of need and improvement within the classroom. Results that are analyzed can be considered to serve as Action Based Research. These five components and how they fit for my SLO are presented below.

Context:
This SLO was focused on 24 students. 18 of the students are in the ninth grade and are enrolled in the Agriculture Science class that meets everyday for a 40 minute period. 6 of the students are ninth- eleventh graders and are enrolled in Agriculture Mechanics II that meets everyday for a 80 minute period.

Goal:
Students will work in task groups successfully for the final assessments within the Wildlife and Building and Construction Units. 

Measures:
Students will be asked to assign a group leader. The leader will then assign task for the assessment. Establishing a group leader will determine the quality of work and the amount of time it takes to get it done. I can measure when each group started and how they ended the assessment. 
Indicators: 
Day one a group leader should be assigned and survey will be completed on group. Students should determine their assessment. Then a plan should be made, implemented, and the final product should be presented. There was a survey given at the end. 

Expectations:
Students should give quality work and be satisfied with their group members in the end. 

Various factors played a role in the results that were determined during this assignment. Student awareness of the assessment, amount of time given, or absence are a few factors that influenced the results.

No matter the school or state I take a teaching position at I will be required to preform some form of SLO or Action Based Research. This was great practice and I  had great guidance throughout this experience.

Comments

Popular Posts