Quality- Week 13


“To practice brotherhood, honor agricultural opportunities and responsibilities, and develop those qualities of leadership which an FFA member should possess.” This can be heard by FFA members across the nation during FFA opening ceremonies. This single sentence holds true for FFA members and past FFA members. Through the FFA I learned and developed qualities of a leader. The same qualities that I feel are the most important qualities of an outstanding educator. In today’s society teachers have a lot of responsibilities and pressure than before. During student teaching and applying for jobs I have often wondered and seen qualities of an agricultural educator. This past week I have reflected upon this wonder after a few job interviews. The teachers that can fulfill the responsibilities and overcome the pressure are those that possess the qualities of passion, communication, organization, and dedication. All these qualities are important for an outstanding educator.

Where I grew up was unlike anywhere else. I grew up hearing cows mooing in the barnyard, seeing never ending hills of corn, and smelling that pungent yet, wonderful manure. However, I grew up in an urbanized area. An area where most of the population is 3-4 generation removed from a farm. Growing up, it was hard for me to fit in until I entered high school. When I entered high school I finally found a place where I felt like I fit. A place where my passion for agriculture could thrive and I could share my story. I was able to get involved in the agricultural science program and FFA. With most students being 3-4 generations removed from the farm I strive to help them find their passion in agriculture through support and education.

Another important quality an educator should possess is being a good communicator. To be a good communicator an educator must be a good listener and speaker. Educators are sometimes looked to as a role model for students. My high school agriculture science teacher is one of my role models and one of the reasons I chose to become an agricultural educator. If an educator can advocate for their subject area students will believe the passion and drive they are teaching. Also, to be a good communicator you need to be a good listener.  This means not only answering questions but having an open ear for students on difficult days.

An educator should be organized. Being organized means that they have good time management. Being an educator is not a seven to three job. Work expands far beyond the school day. Also, most educators are involved in after school activities and community events. An agricultural educator is most often called on for duties for the FFA organization and other agricultural organizations within the community. They are supervisors for their student’s agricultural experiences. Also, educators show support outside the classroom at sporting events, school plays, and much more!


Lastly, an educator needs to be dedicated. Learning is not only done by the students. Educators are life-long learners. They are constantly dedicated to their students by continuing to learn and bring new knowledge to the classroom every year. I hope to further develop all these qualities through my experience as an educator. As well as, help to cultivate these qualities in my students to help grow the next generation of leaders and educators in the agricultural community.

Comments

  1. Heather, thank you for sharing such a thoughtful post about what qualities a good ag teacher possesses. You already know how to make ag relevant to your students, and have demonstrated your ability to communicate and be a good leader. What do you plan to do to further develop and refine these skills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened during this week to motivate this post?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts