Let the Adventure Begin - Week 15


Dear Ms. Wasson, 
  Goodbye from us, but hello to a new beginning!

Goodbye:
Throughout my last week of student teaching this phrase has been running through my mind. How is it possible that I am already saying goodbye? Fifteen weeks ago I started this journey at Cowanesque Valley High School to student teach in the agricultural department. Now, I have packed the last of my stuff into my Jeep. I am ready to head down to State College for my final week at Penn State University and graduate. 

During the fifteen weeks of student teaching I was able to meet over 70 amazing students, taught 12 units, and multiple classes. I have had some unforgettable memories with the teachers, administration, staff, students and community. I will not forget the day I turned around from writing on the board and seeing my students eyes full of confusion. I will not forget the pride I had when I was able to place an A on my students paper. I will not forget the messages I received from my student's mother the evening before my last day. Lastly, I will not forget the hugs, gifts, and goodbyes on my last day.
Every hug I didn't want to let go. In fact, I never thought Mr. Heyler would stop hugging me. I could not ask for a more knowledgeable, passionate, and understanding cooperative teacher! A piece of my heart will always be in Tioga County because I have family there now. This isn't goodbye, this is see you soon. 

New Beginnings:
Shhhh. I know that my students do not read my blog. So, after graduation I am planning on returning to Cowanesque Valley for the remainder of the school year. During this time I will also be applying and interviewing for agricultural teaching positions. I am excited to see what the future holds for me and what students and community I get to impact next!

Advice to the Next Student Teacher:

Find Home...
Find a home or make a home wherever you go. Maybe this was easy at Cowanesque Valley but I believe that if you make this experience more than just about meeting a checklist you will succeed at finding a home. 

Find Passion...
Find a passion for what you are teaching, who you are teaching, and where you are teaching. I was not a shop fan when I started student teaching; however, Mr. Heyler helped me love the shop! Your students are the drivers behind the classroom content. They will succeed if you are confident to help them. Lastly, go to that local business and buy that maple syrup! You should not be scared to sit alone at the basketball game, or introduce yourself to your community because most people are just as curious about you as you are about them. 

Find Trust...
Everyone always questions why at some point throughout their student teaching experience. Trust the process because everything you do and happens is for a reason. 


Good Luck!

Comments

Popular Posts